MacGuffin senior, Ava Lazin, will be playing Maria in our fall production of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music. She has been a veteran of many MacGuffin productions including: Little Shop of Horrors, Hamlet, Orpheus, More Than Anything: The Movie, More Than Anything, Metamorphoses, Rent, The Music Man, The Fiery Furnace, Wicked, and The Tale of Ebeneezer Scrooge, to name just a few. She’s also a member of The Singin’ Bohemians Cabaret Troupe.
The MacGuffin Questionnaire for Ava Lazin:
1.What is your favorite word?
Lodestar. it’s defined as “a person or thing that serves as an inspiration or guide”. I think the word itself is so beautiful, and it’s meaning is inspirational.
2. What is your least favorite word?
Ruined. Whenever I hear it, my stomach feels heavy.
3. Relate a moment in your life where you feel you changed as a person. What was the event that caused it?
Scuba diving for the first time. It was so incredible to be immersed in a whole other world that is just below our own.
4. What trait in others makes you crazy?
Someone who walks really slow down a narrow sidewalk. That drives me nuts!
5. What sound or noise do you love?
The sound of the ocean gently splashing against a boat.
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
Someone chewing. Every time I hear it I cringe!
7. What profession other than acting would you like to attempt?
I would love to become a scuba diving instructor or a drama teacher!
8. What profession would you not like to do?
I could never be a surgeon. I’m way too grossed out by blood.
9. Who inspires you – alive or dead?
My mom, definitely. Seeing how hard she works at literally everything she does, it just blows my mind. She taught me what it means to be a hard worker and that wherever you start, with dedication, passion, and drive, you can end up happy.
10. What is your favorite food and drink?
I love sushi (especially salmon) or strawberry shortcake, and I love iced black tea.
11. What is your favorite color and flower?
My favorite color would have to be a soft yellow, and I absolutely adore white roses and sunflowers.
12. What are your favorite names?
For a girl, I love the name Anastasia or Juliette. For boys, I really like the name Luke. For both, I love the name Dylan.
12. What is your idea of happiness?
My idea of happiness is doing something where you can just take a moment to close your eyes, take a deep breath, and you feel perfectly content and like you belong.
13. What famous quote resonates with you?
“The grass is greener where you water it” – Neil Barringham. I like this quote because it makes me feel like I can have control of my life.
14. If you could come back as any person in history, who would you be?
Amelia Earhart. I think she’s incredibly adventurous and I’m so curious to know what happened to her.
15. Name a recent theater piece or film that moved you.
I recently saw Burn This on Broadway, and it was one of the most moving and emotional pieces I have ever seen, and it showed me a whole other side to grief.
16. Name something that you learned at MacGuffin.
At MacGuffin, I learned how to handle any situation and make the best out of it. I learned that if you do that, you might just wind up having some of the best experiences of your life.